June 9-10, 2009
In a first-of-its-kind show of strength, Long Tail web publishers from 25 Congressional districts and 13 U.S. states converged in Washington, D.C., to explain the importance of the advertising-supported Internet empowering small business growth in America. The Congressional action was part of a two-day event, hosted by the IAB to showcase the importance of the ad-supported Internet to the U.S. economy.
At a press conference at the National Press Club, the IAB announced news across a number of initiatives:
- The Economic Value of the Advertising-Supported Internet Ecosystem–Commissioned by the IAB and produced by Harvard Business School professors John Deighton and John Quelch, it is the first-ever comprehensive analysis of the economic impact of this ever-more important medium. Among its findings: 2.1%, or $300 billion, of the total U.S. GDP is contributed by the ad-supported Internet, which has created 3.1 million jobs, including 20,000 small businesses.
- Long Tail publishers met with Congress and members of the press to tell their own stories of how they have turned their passions into a media revolution—and into businesses that are helping them achieve the American dream
- The formal launch of the IAB’s Long Tail Alliance, an initiative to give voice through the IAB to small ad-supported, publishing and technology sites in the digital ecosystem
- The debut of “I Am the Long Tail,” a seven-minute video, created by the IAB, that ties together vignettes from Long Tail publishers across the nation that puts the human face on the Long Tail and is part of a larger effort to collect and share the Long Tail story in video and online at iamthelongtail.com.
“We wanted the Long Tail Publishers to use their voices to speak to their Congresspeople about what interactive means to them, their employees and their families. Small businesses have been created and transformed in massive numbers across the U.S. with the advent of the ad-supported Internet.” said Randall Rothenberg, President and CEO of IAB. “It is vital that our legislators and regulators, when considering potential regulations, understand that ad-supported publishers are responsible for profound economic value throughout the U.S. Federal and state representatives should not diminish the diversity of voices and ideas in this most diverse of communications media.”
For more information on joining the IAB's Long Tail Alliance, visit www.iab.net/longtailalliance.
Join the IAB Long Tail Alliance Today for $250 for a limited time.
• Learn From the Pros • Protect Your Business • Get Noticed
Find out more at www.iab.net/longtailalliance
Social Knowledge, LLC