Digital Leaders Converge In Full Force for the IAB Annual Leadership Meeting
The IAB welcomed 650 leaders of the interactive marketing and advertising ecosystem to Carlsbad, CA, on Sunday, February 21, for the start of its 2010 Annual Leadership Meeting, Ecosystem 2.0: Revenue The Next Wave. The event, now in its third year, has quickly become the central thought leadership venue for senior voices in the marketing and advertising ecosystem to discuss, debate and define the key issues facing the industry in the coming year.
Randall Rothenberg, President and Chief Executive Officer of the IAB, kicked off the sold-out event, challenging the brightest minds in the marketing-media ecosystem to lead by service and then render their services to the interactive society. He called on attendees to speak out about hot-button issues—like Online Behavioral Advertising and industry self-regulation—and become truly make a difference in the advertising marketplace by contributing inventory to the Ad Council, making pro-bono services part of the business model and more.
David Moore, Chairman and Founder, 24/7 Real Media, and Chairman, IAB Board of Directors, shared his predictions on the next phase of interactive advertising—admitting that some would be more popular with the audience than others.
- Advertising alone will no longer cover the cost of premium content. The business model is broken and the industry needs to take steps to preserve the viability of our business. The theme of “Content Costs” continued to resonate throughout Moore’s speech.
- Destination sites will continue to lose audiences as media fragmentation continues. We must do a better job demonstrating the value of our content to our audience.
- Targeted advertising will continue to become more precise—and great solutions are currently being developed to make sure that happens.
- Digital adverting will become the largest media market in the world in five years—with video leading the way
- Demand side platforms will be part of every agency and be a benefit to those who use them.
New to the agenda this year was the presentation of the first-ever IAB Founder’s Awards, recognizing contribution and service to digital media. The inaugural awards honored Wenda Harris Millard, President and Chief Operating Officer, MediaLink LLC, and Jim Spanfeller, President and Chief Executive Officer, The Spanfeller Media Group, both former Chairs of the IAB Board of Directors.
Jack Myers, Media Economist/Investment Advisor, M.E.D.I.Advisory Group, continued the theme of recognition and leaderships as he presented the IAB Sales Excellence Awards. First, he tagged 2010 as the single most important year of the careers of most leaders in the room because of industry growth potential.
The Sales Excellence Awards, given by the IAB and developed under the auspices of the IAB’s Sales Executive Council in conjunction with The Myers Annual Survey of Advertising Executives, honor outstanding interactive sales organizations and individual account executives.
2009 Sales Excellence Award Winners include:
- Long Term Achievement: Google
- Most Innovative: Yahoo!, Inc.
- Best Newcomer: Federated Media Publishing
- AE of the Year: Kevin Sullivan, Burst Media
- AE of the Year Finalists:
- David Antonelli, MTV Networks Digital
- Mike Chu, ValueClick Media
- Ryan Mayward, NBC Universal Digital Media
- Ali Van Putten, AOL, Inc.
Next onstage was Neil Ashe, President, CBS Interactive, Vice Chairman, IAB Board of Directors, to present the IAB Service Excellence Awards. These awards recognize individual members who have demonstrated strong leadership and provided an exceptional contribution to one or more significant, completed IAB initiative over the past year.
- CAMERON CLAYTON, Vice President of Mobile & International, The Weather Channel, for his significant contributions on theIAB Mobile Buyer’s Guide
- PETER CONTI, Executive Vice President, Borrell Associates, for his dedication and leadership to the IAB Local Road Show in 2009
- RYAN CUNNINGHAM, for his leadership of the Digital Video Player-Ad Interface Definition (VPAID) working group
- RICK LANE, Vice President of Government Affairs, News Corp., for his dedication to improving the industry’s policy positioning in Washington, D.C.
- JEFF LITVACK, General Manager, Mobile and Emerging Products, The Associated Press,for his significant contributions to the IAB Mobile Buyer’s Guide
- MARK LOPEZ, Chief Operating Officer, Terra Networks, for his dedication and leadership as co-chair of the IAB Hispanic Committee
- GARY MEO, Senior Vice President, Print & Digital Media Services, Scarborough Research, for his dedication to and leadership of the IAB Local Road Show in 2009
- BILL NIELSEN, Director, Industry Outreach, Microsoft Advertising, for his leadership as part of the IAB’s broader online behavioral advertising self regulatory initiative
- ARI PAPARO, Product Director, Advertising Products, Google, for his dedication and leadership to the Video Ad Server Template (VAST) initiative
- DON ROSEN, Senior Director, Business & Legal Affairs, Yahoo!, Inc., for his dedication and leadership while part of the Standard Terms and Conditions Taskforce
- GARY SCHWARTZ, Chief Executive Officer, Impact Mobile, for his significant contributions to the IAB Mobile Buyer’s Guide and his dedication as co-chair of theIAB Mobile Committee since its inception in 2007
- SUZIE WHITE, Corporate Counsel, Transactions, Facebook, for her leadership while part of the Standard Terms and Conditions Taskforce