On Tuesday, June 18, IAB President and CEO Randall Rothenberg led a packed session at the Palais Des Festivals in Cannes, “IAB Presents Liquid Creativity: Secrets of the Mobile Superstars.” Digitas Chief Creative Officer Lincoln Bjorkman, Zumobi Chief Creative Officer John San Giovanni and Foursquare Chief Strategy Officer Steven Rosenblatt discussed the next wave of digital creativity for multiple screens, which will flow seamlessly from computer to mobile to tablets and other devices. And while creativity is still paramount on mobile, there is a strong trend toward combining it with the utilitarian service that consumers desire from their mobile devices.
The Cannes Lions panel tied in with IAB’s recent release of “A Mobile Manifesto: Creative Leaders on the Art of Successful Mobile Brand Messaging.” The study was conducted by Millward Brown’s qualitative practice, Firefly, and identifies today’s best practices in mobile creativity. Sherrill Mane, IAB SVP, Research, Analytics and Measurement, also provides an overview of the research in a blog post, “What Works in Mobile: Walking the Tightrope Between Consumer Research and Creativity.”
- Jeff Benjamin’s agency, JWT New York, won both a Gold and Silver in Branded Content & Entertainment, and a Bronze in Outdoor for Macy’s “Yes, Virginia The Musical.”
- Lincoln Bjorkman's agency, Digitas, and Lou Paskalis of American Express won a Creative Effectiveness Lion for their campaign, "Small Business Gets an Official Day."
- Jury chair Brad Brinegar’s agency, McKinney, won Bronze in Branded Content and Entertainment for Big Boss Brewing Company’s “The Last Barfighter.”
- Susan Credle’s agency, Leo Burnett Chicago, won 14 Cannes lions including two Bronze Cyber Lions for it's campaign for Coca-Cola called "Small World Machines." The agency's network took home a total of 53 Cannes Lions.
- Emma Cookson’s agency, BBH New York, won a a Silver in Titanium and Integrated Lion for Uniliver AXE’s “Susan Glenn” campaign.
- Laurie Koehler’s employer Intel won the 2013 Cannes Lion Cyber Grand Prix for "The Beauty Inside," created by agency Pereira & O'Dell. In addition to the Cyber Lions Grand Prix for Best Digitally led Integrated Campaign, The Beauty Inside received a Gold Cyber Lion in copywriting and two Silver Cyber lions for Best Video and Best Community Application. Earlier this week, The Beauty Inside also won a silver Promo lion in durable goods and a bronze Direct lion in consumer goods.
- Nick Law’s agency, R/GA, won a Silver Mobile Lion for its campaign for Mastercard Miyamo, a Silver and Bronze Cyber Lions for campaigns for McCormick Flavorprint and a Bronze Design Lion for Nike+ FuelFest.
- Benjamin Palmer’s agency, The Barbarian Group, won the first-ever Innovation Lions Grand Prix for its campaign for Cinder software technology.
- Alan Schulman’s agency, SapientNitro, won a Gold Mobile Lion for its campaign for RBS Bank.
- Sarah Thompson’s agency, Droga5, won a Titanium Lion and a Silver Cyber Lion for its campaign “The Challenge Lab” on behalf of Prudential Financial. It also won a Bronze Cyber Lion for its campaign "UNICEF Tap Project 2013."
Randall Rothenberg also provided daily video updates all week, highlighting the big news of the day at Cannes Lions 2013. Watch his videos below for more reporting on the panel and Cannes Lions awards winners.