January 11, 2011
With our search for a new CEO getting into high gear, we wanted to let our members know that the IAB team is poised to deliver the most exciting and results-focused year in our association’s history. Among the activities and initiatives you need to know about are:
- The February 27 – March 1 IAB Annual Leadership Meeting is tracking ahead in registrations compared to this time last year and will post a “sold out” earlier than ever before. Our theme is “The People vs. Data,” and it has attracted a world-class lineup of speakers including Eric Schmidt, Chairman and CEO, Google; Tim Andree, CEO, Dentsu Network West; Rik van der Kooi, Corporate VP, Advertiser and Publisher Solutions Group, Microsoft; John Battelle, Founder, Chairman & CEO, Federated Media; Tina Sharkey, Chairman & Global President, BabyCenter
- The opening of the IAB Ad Lab, a new community center for the entire marketing-media ecosystem where we’ll be able to meet-up, network, and address some of the industry’s most pressing needs—from building brands online to the future of mobile advertising
- The build-out of the IAB Mobile Marketing Center of Excellence, which will drive the growth of mobile advertising and media through research, best practices, and evangelism
- The release of the IAB Ad IQ Survey, conducted in cooperation with Ernst & Young: A new, annual benchmarking study of the digital ecosystem’s knowledge and skills, as well as gaps, so we can meaningfully identify the professional development necessary to move the industry forward. In the coming days, look for your invitation to participate in the survey
- The designation of new, brand-hospitable online ad units by IAB’s “Rising Stars” advisory board
- The relaunch of IAB’s Case Study Road Show: In 2011, we’ll take 25 publishers, brands, and agencies to six markets across the U.S. to teach the industry how to grow clients’ businesses and their own revenues through superior integrated efforts
- The cross-industry Measurement Task Force: Led by the IAB, along with our partners at the ANA and 4A’s, it will address pressing issues in digital metrics as well as establish an Industry Measurement Standards Board
- The prosecution of our continuing war on discrepancies through such programs as Terms & Conditions 3.1, Impression Exchange Solution, E-Business Interactive Standards, and the Networks & Exchanges Quality Assurance Guidelines
- The countering of regulatory pressure in Washington, D.C., through lobbying on the Hill, the rollout of the Self-Regulatory Program for Online Behavioral Advertising, and the implementation of the IAB Membership Code of Conduct
Our search for the next CEO of IAB is well underway, and we have established a Search Committee, led by outgoing IAB Chairman Dave Moore. The committee has already engaged a search firm and is finalizing the job specification and reviewing a list of potential candidates. We are confident that we’ll have a sizable number of highly qualified candidates to choose from. If you have any names to recommend, please send them to [email protected].
As you can see, there is no lack of exciting initiatives happening at IAB in 2011, and the senior team—David Doty, Sherrill Mane, and Mike Zaneis—as well as the entire IAB staff are intent on making this the most productive year ever. Watch for future updates!
Patrick Dolan, EVP and COO, IAB
Bob Carrigan, Board Chairman, IAB, and CEO, IDG Communications, Inc.